Friday, December 30, 2011

Your Grandmother Mother's Sexy French Witch Sabbath


[the witches arrive, and are anointed]

James B. has kindly donated a clear scan of a card missing that I am missing from this fabulous sequence of postcards: Witches’ Sabbat in Paris, ca. 1910. As I explained when I posted them in April 2007:

This sequence of [eight?] French postcards shows the various steps that a group of young witches go through on their way to a sabbat (or sabbath if you prefer). We see the witches arrive, being anointed, flying up the chimney, flying over Paris, and arriving at the sabbat, where the devil is waiting in an ancient circle of standing stones.


[the witches fly up the chimney, and arrive at the sabbat]

My post on only five of these eight cards was the most popular I’d ever done. I went from about five hundred hits every three days, to ten thousand. I couldn’t believe my eyes! In fact, I got so much traffic that my image host pulled the plug on a stack of my images and it took me weeks to get them rehosted and for the traffic to settle back to normal.


[the witches flying over Paris (which should go between the previous two, but it is the wrong shape)]

Anyway, as a pre-Halloween gift James has agreed to let me post him card. Above are smaller versions of my cards (see the original post here for the full versions) to remind you of the sequence, and below is the card that James B. has, which I am trying to persuade him to part with. I am pretty sure it goes at the end.


[having bowed to the Devil, our witches perform a ritual]

For those of you who haven’t explored my previous posts, this is my opportunity to remind you that you might have missed something that you’d like!

No comments:

Post a Comment